Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Monday, May 14, 2012

herbalicious


 I thought I would show you some new herbs I bought recently.
I went to buy some new herbs because mine were looking really ratty after summer and autumn is a fabulous time for gardening in Australia.
The soil is nice and warm from the summer months and plants have enough time to establish before it gets cool in winter.
It doesn't snow here but we do get frost which can burn plants, if they are perennial they will usually grow back in spring.
Well back to my story.
While wandering around Bunnings' herb section I found a stack of different herbs, they were a bit more expensive, but I think they were worth it.

 
Firstly was the sugar plant,
I already had this bit it was not looking too great when I got B2 to pull it out so I could make my Easter garden, I got him to pick all the leaves off and freeze them.
The sugar plant is of course stevia!
You can use it it your smoothies, or a hot drink for extra sweetness.
I have seen where you can make liquid stevia by adding it to vodka, but I am yet to try it!
If you pick off a leaf and chew it, it gives a nice sweet taste.
Next, I found this interesting herb, the tag actually had a picture of licorice allsorts on it.
If you pick off a few leaves and chew them, they taste like licorice.
Great for those of us who love licorice but are avoiding sugar!

 The third interesting plant was this one called olive herb,
If you pick and eat it it tastes a bit like olive oil.
It tastes great in salads, I added a few the other night and it really gave the salad a lift.

 I also replaced some of my other herbs, parsley, mint, basil, coriander and rosemary.

 If I have a little punnet with more than one I usually add the extras to my old wheelbarrow.

Some get put in my little pot on the kitchen window sill.
I think I might see if I can get some more pots so they have a bit more room to grow.
They get the morning sun here.
In this pot is some coriander, Italian parsley, mint and garlic chives.
Handy if you just need a few leaves to pop into your meal but I have to be careful not to over pick.

What are your favourite herbs to grow?

Shared at:
 




 




7 comments:

  1. Your herbs look lovely, alas we are not planting anything new right now, winter/ autumn seems to be settling in fast here as I sit and shiver.
    I love the look of your pots, have you painted them with chalk board paint?? they look great on the wooden steps.
    thanks for sharing.
    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nice variety of herbs . I have basil, parsley, sage, two kinds of thyme and mint growing on my patio. I love stepping outside and cutting fresh herbs to use in cooking. It is fascinating that we are enjoying spring and you are enjoying autumn. Wow! What a wonderful world! Thank you for joining Your Cozy Home Party. ---------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your interesting assortment of herbs! I must be a pro at oregano, because my plants from last year are HUGE. But I'm awful with basil, which barely produces. Of course, that's what I want most of! I've enjoyed, though, using my own dried oregano through the winter, and want to try more herbs this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stepped display! (The herbs sound delicious too.) Is that chalk board paint on your pots or just black and white paint? It looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I used chalkboard paint, go here to see when I first made this garden:
      http://fivebrothersonesister.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/repurpose-recycle-relax.html

      Delete
  5. I had never heard of those herbs you shared ... I'm going to see if I can find that olive herb. Sounds like it would be wonderful in my salad!

    ... so happy you shared with us at our Great Outdoors link party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with your pots and chalkboard labels and even more in love with the unique herbs and the wheelbarrow planter. Thank you so much for sharing at our party!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.