Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

winter

It's August and the last month of Winter here in Australia.
I can feel a hint of Spring in the air.
A warm afternoon breeze floating by with the smell of Spring in it.

 
The wattle on the trees, 

 the flowers budding on the peach trees.
The farmers burning off before the fire bans kick in.
But there is still plenty of winter about.

 
Lots of early morning frosts, that cool nip in the air by 5pm when you know it is time to close up the house and light the fire.
We don't do Winter well here in Australia.
We are a country that is made for Summer and for 9 months of the year that is pretty much what we have.
But those cold months are killers.
Our houses are not made for the cold weather, they are not warm enough.
There is no such thing as central heating, underfloor heating or the like
- not here on the North Coast of NSW, 
Canberra and Melbourne maybe?
I have heard of visitors to our shores arriving in winter with a light weight jacket and not much else and freezing their butts off!

In the daytime it is often warmer to 

sit in the sun outside than be in a cold house.
Our lessons each day are enjoyed outside in the sun!

All the same I love winter. 
Well actually I love all the seasons.
I don't have a particular favourite,
there is something special about each one. 
But today I am sharing what I love about those cooler winter months.

I love the fashions!

 
I love layering up with a singlet top, long sleeve T, cardigan and a coat- early in the morning or evening.
Stripping down as the day heats up and then layering back up as the day cools down

I love my scarves, jeans and boots!
I love my fire, the smell of burning wood and the warm crackling heat.

 I love soups, casseroles and the occasional chocolate self saucing pudding.
I love hot chocolate or a chai latte to warm me up on a cold winter's morn.

 
This year I am loving the baked oatmeal and custard for breakfast once or twice a week
 - we are a family who likes variety- 
no serving the same breakfast twice in a row here or it quickly goes out of favour!

So there you have it my favourite things about winter.

What do love about winter?
Do you have a favourite season?

sharing at:
Adorned From Above

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Like you, I enjoy each season. I love having soups and warm meals, having a warm kitchen when baking is happening and the longer nights with children inside by 5:30pm.

    When we lived in Brisbane with YWAM it was the Europeans and Canadians who most complained about the cold- indoors. They thought it was crazy that we wore jackets inside and rarely used any heating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely post deanne!
    it's often colder inside than out here too. something i like about winter is the lack of crowds in our coastal suburb. i can't say i really like winter but i do like the change from season to season.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes forget that we have opposite seasons. We are just seeing the wind down of summer. I always know it is almost over here when the Crape Myrtle bushes start to bloom, they are one of the last of summer. Fall is fast approaching and here in Virginia that means woderful weather, much like your winter, cool mornings and evenings, and nice days. Our winters are COLD!! We will get snow a few times, and freezing rain a bunch of times. I don't particularly like winter, except I do like winter cloths! I love layering, and I love scarves, and the fact that everyone looks a little bigger. :) I don't like that there is no color, everything is monochromatic here in the winter. I hope you enjoy your spring as much as I will enjoy our fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful how the world wide web can take us all the way around the world,and we can enjoy God's wonders,your having winter and we are at the end of summer here in southeast Georgia...I love all the season's too,but I'm leaning a little towards Autumn as a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring taking off and fall putting on! All the different layers. The light seems a little different, the plants are getting a wee bit leggie, and the wheat looks like golden stalks, yep fall is approaching here, and yippeee spring is coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos, gorgeous post and I think that this is the first time I've seen a full shot of you ? How totally gorgeous are you !!! A beautiful all rounder xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ava, it probably is the first full length photos of me on my blog! Lost a bit of weight and it does wonders to ones self confidence!

      Delete
  7. Great post Deanne, love your photos (especially the ones of you in your layered outfit...you look gorgeous!) There's a definite hint of spring in the air up here in Qld too and we have only had a few really chilly nights this winter. You're sooo right about the houses not being built for warmth :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cas, that's very kind!
      Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  8. This is a great post. I have a link party on Wednesdays and you love you to link this post there. I love you outfit. Especially the boots. You can find my blog at www.adornedfromabove.com it runs through Sunday.
    Have a great day.
    Debi
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such an amazing women Deanne. All of the above and you look great and to me you showed some real guts this week, if you know what I mean and my respect for you went through the roof.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. thank you very much for following Carole's Chatter. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deanne,
    Great recipe, but I especially love your outfit. Great boots. You look fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/tangerine-toner-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Hope to see you there. It is open until Sunday night.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.