Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Thursday, April 26, 2012

anzac biscuits- wheat free fructose free

Anzac Day was yesterday here in Australia, the day we remember  those who fought and died for us.
Since we have lived out of town we have never taken our children to the Anzac Day march- we are so slack- we did discuss it yesterday morning and decided to go next year!

 
 Every year on Anzac Day we make Anzac biscuits.
They were called this because women baked them and sent them overseas in tins to the Anzacs. 
While I am not a bad cook, there are some things that never I never seem to be able to get right- Anzac biscuits is one of those. 
I often find they are too dry and crumbly or too soggy or.....
Sometimes they come out fine but by the time I go to make them again I have forgotten what I did to make them work or what recipe I used.
This year was going to be a challenge because I needed to make wheat free and fructose free Anzac biscuits.
I saw a couple of recipes but they used nuts which Anzac biscuits don't usually have. 
I found a recipe in the Sweet Poison Quit Plan book and adapted it.
I changed the glucose syrup to rice malt syrup because I thought that would be more like golden syrup.
I found that I needed to shorten the cooking time and lower the temperature slightly.
They come out slightly crisp and chewy my favourite way to eat them, the mixture was beautiful and went onto the tray nicely and spread well while cooking.
I will definitely be baking these again!
Here is the recipe as I made it.
 I got around 48 small biscuits from this recipe.

Anzac biscuits:
 

1C plain GF flour
1 C rolled outs
3/4 C coconut
1 1/4 C dextrose
150g butter
3 T boiling water
4 T rice malt syrup
1t bi-carb soda

1. Preheat oven to 140C, line trays with baking paper.
2. Sift flour into the bowl, add oats, coconut and dextrose and mix together, set aside.
3.Melt butter in saucepan, then add syrup and water, allow to boil briefly before removing from heat.
4. Add bi-carb soda and allow to foam, pour onto dry ingredients and mix.
5. Place heaped teaspoons onto a tray and bake for 20-30 minutes- keep an eye on them as dextrose can burn quickly, if they are looking too brown turn the oven down.

 
6. Remove from oven and leave on the tray until the biscuits are completely cold, this helps them crisp up.

7. Enjoy with a cuppa tea! 


 This cheeky little kitten tried to help himself just as I finished photographing- he was quickly stopped!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.