This recipe comes from Sarah Wilson's I quit sugar blog.
I saw it and thought it looked good, I liked the fact that it was gluten free, in fact it is grain free, it is also sugar free and dairy free.
It is raw- so no cooking involved- great for summer!
It is however not nut free, in fact it is chock full of nuts in both the base and filling- so needless to say I will not be making this when my niece comes to visit!
But on other occasions I will certainly make it again.
I bought the nuts, but then it took me a few weeks to get around to trying it, mainly because I try to only cook this sort of stuff on a weekend and then weekends can get busy, and it needed 2 hours to set so it couldn't be a last minute kind of thing. I was easy to make and gave my food processor a workout.
I ending up making this for the family, when my big boys came home from their week at Ag camp.
I thought the occasion deserved a special dessert.
Everyone liked it and no-one noticed that there was no sugar or dairy in it, it was still sweet and delicious.
Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
- 2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups of raw cashews
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut milk (or milk of your choice) I used a little more than this to get a nice smooth consistency
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- To make the crust, line the base of a round spring form cake pan with baking paper.
- Process pecans in a food processor until chunky crumbs form. Add remaining ingredients and process until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Press into base to cover evenly. Place in freezer to set.
- To make filling, process cashews until fine crumbs form. Add remaining ingredients except milk and raspberries. Process until mixture turns into a smooth and creamy batter. Add milk as necessary to smooth out mixture. Once smooth, fold through raspberries and pour mixture over base in pan.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.