Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Friday, June 7, 2013

orange almond cake with chocolate ganache

 I have been baking this cake for many years, in fact it would be over twenty.
Well before it became trendy, well before I became gluten free.
The original recipe I had, which came from a Home Beautiful magazine, served it with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

I found this recipe online when looking for a sugar free version and changed out 
the agave syrup (which is 90% fructose) to rice malt syrup.
I either make it with flaked almonds on the top (I love toasted flaked almonds) and dusted with icing sugar, or with a chocolate ganache as pictured here, for that delightful jaffa hit!

This particular cake was supposed to travel with me to a friend's place 1.5hrs away on a little overnight excursion and we were going to eat if for dessert.
I was almost half way down to her place when B2 rang me and asked if I was supposed to take the cake that was sitting in the fridge with me!
I ended up buying a pavlova when I got there.
The good thing though was that I got to play and take some photos with it, 
when we had it for morning tea after I returned!

 Ingredients:
2 oranges
4 eggs
3/4 c rice malt syrup
2 c of almond meal
1/2t celtic sea salt
1t baking powder

Method:
1. Wash oranges and place them whole skin and all in a saucepan of water- boil for 1.5 hrs- keep an eye on it and top up water as needed.
2. Place whole oranges in a food processor and process until smooth.
3. Add other ingredients and process until well blended.
4. Pour batter into a greased 20cm cake tin- I use a spring for pan with baking paper on the bottom.
If you wish to top it with flaked almonds- now is the time to do it.
5. Bake at 170C for 45-50 minutes, until skewer comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan for 2 hrs or overnight - I like to wrap it all in a clean tea-towel
7. When it is cold you can top with Chocolate Ganache if you wish.

Chocolate Ganache:
100g 70% dark chocolate (this keeps the sugar count down low- for even lower use 85% but my kids find it a little to dark for them)
100mls cream
splash of Grand Marnier -optional adult version.
Heat cream on stove until boiling, remove from heat and add chocolate broken in pieces, stir until smooth, set aside to cool.
The cooler it is the thicker it will become. I find it easiest to ice when it is still slightly warm but not cold.

 Serve with lashings of whipped cream for the ultimate treat!

All Gone!
Delicious!




10 comments:

  1. It looks amazing Deanne. So you boil/simmer the whole oranges uncut? Quite unusual....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes whole orange uncut skin and all, and you put it into the food processor the same way.

      Delete
  2. I've made a similar cake before but never had the chocolate ganache on top! Looks SO amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! i love cakes with almond meal and orange.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame I've just decided to cut out chocolate and cake after clothes shopping for the first time in months! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you decide to eat cake - this is the one- if you leave off the chocolate, it has no sugar and very little fat and that almond meal and oranges are good for you!

      Delete
  5. Yum! Chocolate and Orange... perfect combo! :) Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I will have to give this recipe a try looks sooo good-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well things happen for a reason, so glad you got to share it with us and I bet the pav was no where near as good as this. I just feel sorry for your friends that they didn't get to eat your lovely offering.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deanne,
    What a fabulous cake, your Orange Almond Cake with Chocolate Ganache looks delicious. Hope you have a wonderful week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.