I found this recipe just before Christmas and adapted it to be Gluten Free and because I used tapioca flour they are also Grain Free.
They are easy to make and the crackers remind me of the country cheese crackers that VCH's dad always has in a big jar in his kitchen.
Makes about 70 1-inch square crackers
1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
¾ cup tapioca flour, plus more for dusting
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C
2. Put everything except the milk in a food processor. Pulse the processor, 5 seconds at a time, for about 5 or 6 times, until the dough is in coarse crumbs.
3. Add the milk and process until the dough gathers together in a ball.
4. Roll the dough out on a floured board with a rolling pin that has been floured until it is about 4mm thick or use two sheets of baking paper
5. Cut the dough into 2.5cm squares with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
You can put a bit of flour on the blade of the knife to keep it from sticking.
6. Place the crackers apart on parchment paper on a baking sheet.Use a fork to poke into each cracker. I like to sprinkle with a little paprika
7. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown.
8. Put the tray on a rack and let the crackers cool completely.
9. Eat! Or store in a covered container to eat within a day or two.