Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

doughnuts


We made doughnuts for morning tea yesterday from a recipe out of a BHG magazine.
They were cake style doughnuts, not yeast style.
They reminded me of my childhood.
Every winter when I was little the local department store would cook them in their cafeteria.
You would always know it was winter when you entered Gerard's and the smell of doughnuts cooking wafted through the store.
It was always so exciting and my mum would buy me a doughnut.
Now of course the department store no longer exists, we have two speciality doughnut shops in town, and doughnuts are available all year round in an amazing variety.
It was fun, the kids liked seeing the process and comparing it to the automated machine at the doughnut shop.
I found these a little heavier than the shop bought but still delicious- now looking at the recipe I am wondering if I put in enough bi-carb which should make the batter lighter.

Doughnuts
3 1/2 C plain flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 T bi carb soda
1 cup sugar
1tsp mixed spice
1t salt
75g butter- softened
2 eggs
1 C milk
2t pure vanilla extract

Extra sugar and cinnamon for dusting.

1. Put flour, baking powder, bi carb, sugar and spice into bowl of food processor and turn on to mix.Put in butter and whizz until resembles bread crumbs (As usual when I recipe calls for rubbing in I use my trusty food processor).  

2.Add eggs, then add milk a little at a time until well combined then add vanilla.

3.Sandwich dough between two pieces of baking paper and roll out until 2cm thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured bench. Cut out into doughnut shapes (the recipe calls for a doughnut cutter - I just used two of my circle cutters) 
 Re-roll and use up rest of dough

5. Heat oil in a deep fryer until 170C or large heavy based saucepan. Fry doughnuts in batches of about 5 for 4 minutes each turning several times until doughnuts are cooked through.
Drain on wire rack, then dust with cinnamon sugar (to make this I put 1C sugar into the food processor with 1t cinnamon and processed until fine)


Cooking in the deep fryer. 
I washed the fryer out and put in fresh oil so we didn't have chip tasting doughnuts- yuck!

Dusted in sugar on the wire rack.

Ready to eat.
Did you know that doughnuts make an "o" shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.