Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

almond bread

Almond bread or almond slice as it is sometimes known is a favourite of mine.
My dear aunt used to make it for me and while I had tried to make it myself  I could never get it quite the same. 
Now with my aunt no longer here with us I thought my almond bread days were over, until I came across the recipe in my 4 ingredients Gluten Free Cook Book.
My first attempt was fine but I could not get them really thin for the second baking, but then an idea came to me (in the middle of the night, like these things often do), if I froze the loaf first before cutting I could get a much thinner slice, and it worked YAAYYY!!!!
So without further ado here is the Almond Bread recipe.

Almond Bread
4 eggs
1/2 C raw sugar
1C gluten free flour
1C almonds

Preheat oven to 180C
Separate eggs and beat egg whites until stiff, then add sugar slowly and beat until dissolved.
Sift flour and stir in and add almonds.
Place mixture in a lined loaf tin (the trick to getting your baking paper to stay still is a dot of butter in the bottom of the tin) The tin I use is thin and long with straight down sides 8cm x 25cm and makes a really nice sized piece.
Bake for 40 minutes. 

The recipe states when cool enough slice thinly- now this is what I tried first but ended up with the freeze and cut method as mentioned above, my aunt and in several old recipes I have read actually leave the loaf for several days before slicing.

Place slices on a baking tray and return to oven until browned 10-15minutes (I like to turn my oven down for this step to about 160C as they can easily go too brown really quickly so keep an eye on them)

With the freezing I can get a much thinner slice and get many more than the 15 stated in the recipe, I keep the loaf in the freezer and just slice off as many as I need- or otherwise they go really quickly- too moreish!!!

 Note the one missing- that was a taste test.
These are a lovely crisp biscuit great with a cup of coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.